The awards ceremony for the best Swiss entrepreneur of 2015 was
held on 23 October 2015 in the TV studios of tpc/SRF in Zurich. Confiserie Bachmann AG was nominated as one of three finalists in the category “Family Business”.
On 23 October 2015, for the 18th year in a row, the coveted awards were conferred. Once again, outstanding individuals were honoured with awards in the four categories Service/Retail, Industry/Technology/Life Sciences, Emerging Entrepreneur and Family Business.
Over 300 guests from the world of business, politics and culture celebrated with the proud winners in the TV studios of tpc/SRF (Swiss radio and TV). Commenting on the event, Bruno Chiomento, CEO of EY Switzerland, said: “For EY Switzerland, this competition has been highlighting pearls from our business location for the past 18 years. My respect for these people and all that they do for our country grows each year.”
Three-stage selection process
The Entrepreneur Of The Year must score top marks in a threestage selection process. The first hurdle is getting nominated. Those fulfilling the required criteria are permitted to enter the competition. The next step involves EY interviewers reviewing the entrepreneurs and their companies. Based on their findings, the jury selects the finalists.
In 2015, 15 finalists were chosen from 39 nominees. Jury members also form their own opinion of candidates by speaking with the finalists in person and visiting their companies. An assessment of entrepreneurial accomplishment, business development, innovation, leadership, sustainability and the macrosocial incentives provided by the candidates and their companies is conducted. The result of subsequent, often heated discussions ultimately determines the winner of the Entrepreneur Of The Year Award.
EY runs the competition worldwide according to the same criteria. Over 10,000 entrepreneurs in more than 60 countries compete for the coveted title of EY Entrepreneur Of The Year. There is no other competition like it in the world. In spring of the following year, an independent jury panel chooses the World Entrepreneur Of The Year from each of the overall country winners.
The 2015 jury
- Bernhard Alpstaeg, swisspor Management AG, patron and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2007
- Brigitte Breisacher, Alpnach Norm-Schrankelemente AG, owner and director of the Alpnach Norm Group
- Claude R. Cornaz, Vetropack Holding AG, CEO and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012
- Dr Beat Curti, entrepreneur
- Dr Paul J. Hälg, Dätwyler Holding AG, CEO
- Edouard Pfister, Sonceboz SA, chairman of the board
- Sébastien Tondeur, MCI Group Holding SA, CEO and Entrepreneur Of The Year 2011
- Professor Thomas Zellweger, University of St. Gallen, director of the Center for Family Business